From Pedigree of the Deakin Family, October 1859
[With details of later family members added afterwards]
In the possession of Alice Gertrude Deakin (1862 to 1946) to her grand nephew Arthur Keelinge Deakin (1917 to 1944) to his father Guy Barton Deakin (1882 to 1973) to his daughter Isabella Vera Deakin (1913 to 2005) to David Cooper.Keelinge Addison Deakin
Born 7th September 1845
Baptized at St. John’s, Wolverhampton
M.A. St. John’s College, Oxford
Married 16 April 1873 at Highweek, South Devon to Annie Gibson Henry Howkins
daughter of Theophilus Howkins of Newton Abbott
He died Northfield 4 April and has issue.
Birth listed in the 1845 December index as Keelinge Addison Deakin
at Wolverhampton volume XVII page 347
In the 1851 census Ecclesiastical parish of St John, Civil parish Wolverhampton at 9? George Street. Jno. Bickerton Deakin, head, married, age 38, Attorney at Law, born Bromsgrove Worcester. Wife Sarah Elizabeth Deakin age 29, ?????, Worcester. Son Bickerton H. Deakin age 6, scholar at home, born Wolverhampton. Son Keeling A. Deakin
age 5, scholar at home, born Wolverhampton. Daughter Eliz Homer Deakin age 4m, born Wolverhampton. Son Rt. Hy. Deakin age 2, born Wolverhampton. Daughter Marcy Lucy Deakin age 1 born Wolverhampton. 4 servants 1 cook, 1 housemaid 2 nurses.
In 1861 census Keeling A Deakin
, age 15, born at Wolverhampton living at Henwick House, Worcester. Also a student was his brother Bickerton H. Deakin age 16, scholar born at Wolverhampton. The head was Alfred Phillips, Doctor of Divinity, clergyman, without care of souls, schoolmaster.
Modern Athletics 1868
St. John’s College, Oxford sports took place on November 11 and 12. ... K. A. Deakin
sustained his reputation as a stayer, by winning both the mile and two miles.
The London Society volume 15 1869
The Three Miles, the long race! ... The only man of the six competitors who had appeared before was J.H. Morgan, of Trinity, Oxford, ... The other Oxford competitors to the post were K.A. Deakin
of St. John’s, and E. Ashmead Bartlett of St. Mary’s Hall. The Cambridge men were T.T. Paine and L.R. Whigham, both of Trinity, and G. Henderson, of Pembroke. The three miles at the two Universities were run in exactly the same time, 15 min. 58 sec.; [Morgan won]
The Field Quarterly Magazine and Review. 1870
The Exeter College Oxford, meeting was held last year on November 19 and 20. ... Ten appeared at the post for the three miles strangers’ race, viz.: K. A. Deakin
, St. John’s Oxford; H. C. Riches, London A. C.; R.H. Benson, Baliol, Oxford; F. Richardson S. Essex A.C. ; R. M. Heanley, Queen’s Oxford; E.B. Cope, Trinity, Oxford; L.P. Muirhead, Sidney Sussex, Cambridge; A. Hardy, Uxbridge; S. Le Blanc-Smith, University; and E. Ashmead-Bartlett, Christ Church. Richardson and Hardy lead for a couple of miles and then retired, Deakin having meanwhile been most prominent at the head of the ruck. In the last mile Benson and Riches left the others far behind, the Oxonian trying his utmost to cut the Londoner down. At a mile and two-thirds the former thought he had completed the distance, and when leading stopped momentarily. Entering the run in, Riches was only five yards in front, and a most plucky race ensued to the tape., which Riches breasted by two yards, Deakin a poor third. The winners times were one mile, 5 min. 16 sec.; two miles, 10 min. 48 sec.; three miles 16 min. 2 sec.
In the 1871 census living at Market Street, Bedworth, Keelinge Addison Deakin
, unmarried, age 25, Curate of Bedworth, born Wolverhampton. Also at the same address is Reverend Alfred Henry Carrington, head, unmarried, age 24, Curate of Bedworth, born Cheltenham Gloucestershire, and a housekeeper.
In Oxford University Alumni, 1500 - 1886 listed as second son of John Bickerton Deakin, co. Stafford, arm. St. John’s College, matriculated 23 March 1865, aged 19, B.A. 1870, M.A. 1871, P.C. of Cofton Hackett, co, Worcester, 1880
From the Ecclesiastical Gazette March 1871
On Sunday, March 5, by the Bishop of Worcester, in the Cathedral Church of Worcester
Deacons: Keelinge Addison Deakin
, B.A. St John’s College Oxford
[Thus for a while he was Deacon Deakin]
In the April to June 1873 marriage index, Keelinge Addison Deakin
and Annie Gibson H. Howkins
, Newton Abbot, Devon, volume 5b, page 239.
Rules of the St. John’s Archery Club Oxford 1873
... Rev. K. A. Deakin
, B.A. ...
[The club had a limit of 16 ordinary members] [Deakin is also listed as an honorary member in the 1880 edition]
In the 1874 Crockford’s Clerical Directory.Keelinge Addison Deakin
, Bedworth Nuneaton. - St John’s Coll. Ox. 1870; Deacon 1871, Priest 1872 by Bp. Worc. Curate of Bedworth, Dio. Worc. 1871.
Listed in the Clergy List of 1896 as M.A. Oxford 1871, Vicar 1880, Cofton Hackett, Birmingham
In the 1881 census Keeling A. Deakin
, age 35, born at Wolverhampton as M.A.Perpet Curate Of Cofton Hackett living at “The cottage”, Much Marcle, Hereford, England. His wife is Annie G. H. Deakin
age 35, born at Harbury, Warwick. The children are Mary H. H. Deakin, age 6 born at Almondsbury, Glos., Ethel M., age 4 born at Almondsbury, Glos., John K., age 3 born at Almondsbury, Glos. and Elizabeth K. age 2, born at Almondsbury, Glos.. They have 3 servants including a domestic servant a nurse and an under nurse.
In the 1891 census he is living at the Vicarage, Coston Hackett. His occupation is Clergy, Vicar of Cofton Hackett. His wife Annie G.H.
and children Mary H.H., Ethel M., Elizabeth K., Dorothy Emily and Margaret P. are there as well. Also is a governess and 2 servants. The next homes are Kendal End (St. Michaels Schools), Kendal End, Kendal End Farm and the Warren.
From the Crockford Clerical Directory 1898
Parish - Cofton-Hackett
Post Town - Redditch
Diocese - Worcester
Patron - Mrs. Deakin [presumably, Rev Deakin’s mother Elizabeth Deakin]
Incumbent - K.A. Deakin
Gross Income - 250
Net Income - 180
Acres in Parish - 1261
Church Accommodation - 100
Population - 188
In the 1901 census living at Cofton Vicarage Keelinge A. Deakin
age 55, clerk in Holy Orders, born at Wolverhampton Staffordshire. Also wife Annie Gibson Henry Deakin
, age 55, born at Harbury Warwick. Children Mary Howkins Homer Deakin, age 26, born at Almondsbury, Glos., Ethel Marguerite Deakin, age 24, governess, born at Almondsbury, Glos., Elizabeth Katharine age 22, governess, born at Almondsbury, Glos., and Robert Charles Deakin age 19, clerk, born at Northfield Worcs. They had 1 servant.
In the 1911 census Postal address is Cofton Parsonage, Barnt Green, Worcestershire. Keelinge Addison Deakin
, head, age 65, married, Clerk in Holy Orders (Established Church), born Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. Wife Annie Gibson Henry Deakin
, age 65 married, present marriage 38 years, 7 children born, 7 still living, born Harbury, Warwickshire. Daughter Mary Howkins Homer Deakin, age 36, single, born Almondsbury, Glos. Servant Rebecca Francis Stanley, age 26, general servant (domestic), born Tardsbigg, Worc. There are 12 rooms in the house including the kitchen but not including scullery, bathrooms, landing, lobby, closet, warehouse, shop or office.
London Gazette October 30, 1917.
Benefice Cofton Hackett, Vicar, Worcester, October 14, 1916, Keelinge Addison Deakin
, yearly sum granted to retired incumbent 75 pounds. [most others were 50 pounds]
Listed in the April to June 1918 Death Index Keelinge A. Deakin
Kings N. (district) age 72, volume 6d page 6.
The burial register for St. Michael’s, Cofton Hackett lists Keelinge Addison Deakin
was buried April 9, 1918, age 72. His address is 6 Barron Road, Northfield. Signed by C H J Willon?, rector of Northfield.
National Probate Calendar
The Reverend Keelinge Addison Deakin
of 6 Baron Road Northfield Birmingham died 4 April 1918 Probate Birmingham 27 June 1918 to George Reginald Deakin gentleman [his brother] Effects 2322 pounds 14 shillings 4 pence.
Reverend K. A. Deakin was the first Vicar of St Michael’s Church.
from A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 published 1913
The church of ST. MICHAEL consists of a chancel 20 ft. by 16 ft. 6 in. with a modern organ chamber on the north side, and a nave 38 ft. 6 in. by 20 ft. 6 in. having a bell-turret at the west end. These measurements are all internal.
The building was restored in 1861 and the earliest remaining portions date from the latter half of the 14th century. The east window is of three lights, with modern tracery under a pointed head. The walling and moulded jambs are old and appear to date from the 14th century. In the modern north wall is an arch opening into the organ chamber, and to the east of it a pointed window. The south wall is old, but the two windows are modern. Between them is a pointed doorway with a moulded label and head stops, and further east is a piscina. The chancel arch is modern.
In the north wall of the nave are two squareheaded windows of three and two lights respectively, the tracery in each case being modern, and a low square-headed door. Externally the wall has been straightened by a facing 9 in. thick for most of its height. In the south wall are two windows similar to those opposite. A 15th-century doorway, with a moulded label and head stops, opens into an ancient porch built of wood. The west wall of the nave has been rebuilt; it has square angle buttresses and a large reconstructed 15th-century central buttress under a 16th-century bell-turret containing two bells.
The font is modern, and the pulpit and the communion rail are made up of old oak.
In the chancel is an incised alabaster slab to William Leicester and his wives Eleanor and Anne, with three effigies under canopies. William Leicester wears plate armour with scalloped tuiles and rounded sabbatons. His head rests on a tilting helm crested with a roebuck and his feet on a dog. His wives wear kennel head-dresses and from their girdles hang pomanders. Below the first wife Eleanor is a scroll, partly illegible, inscribed 'Non intres in judicium cu aiabus tuorum …,' and below William Leicester and his second wife are a boy and girl. The marginal inscription reads:—'Hic jacent corpora Wi[llel]mi Leysestur dñi de Coston hacket Elinore et Anne uxorum suarum qui quidem Wi[llel]mus obiit [blank] die [blank] anno dñi mi[llessi]mo ccccc [blank] et dicta Elionora fuit filia Edmundi (?) Worley Armig[']i et obiit 7 die mensis Januarii (?) ao dñi mi[llessi]mo cccccxiiii quorum aiab[z] p[ro]picietur deus Amen.' Above the canopies are shields, the husband bearing: quarterly (1) a fesse between three fleurs de lis, (2) a lion passant, (3) ermine a bend, (4) a bend engrailed ermine. Above the first wife is the coat: a chief with a raven impaling a cheveron between three bulls' heads cabossed; and over the second: a cheveron between three hunting horns.
In the nave is an alabaster tablet to William Babington, 1625, and his wife Eleanor daughter of Sir Edward Lyttelton, who died 1671; this was formerly in the chancel. There are also monuments to various members of the Jolliffe family.
The two bells are dated 1717.
The plate consists of a small paten, date probably about 1520, a cup with the hall mark of 1661, presented in 1827, a paten of 1827, and a modern flagon.
The registers before 1812 are as follows: (i) (much injured by damp) contains all entries 1550 to 1629; (ii) 1630 to 1651; (iii) 1654 to 1683, when there is a blank until 1702; (iv) 1702 to 1712; (v) 1712 to 1754; (vi) baptisms and burials 1785 to 1812; (vii) marriages 1755 to 1812.
In the churchyard is the base of an old cross.
The church of Coston Hackett was a chapel annexed to the church of Northfield (fn. 72) until 1866, when it was separated from Northfield. (fn. 73) It is now a vicarage in the gift of Mrs. Deakin.
From Rambles and Researches among Worcestershire churches ... George K. Stanton 1884
However during the incumbency of the late rector of Northfield the Rev Henry Clarke an Order in Council was made that at the death of the then incumbent the livings should be again disunited The living was purchased a few years since by the late JB Deakin Esq. of Tettenhall Wood Wolverhampton and the present vicar the Rev KA Deakin MA of St John's College Oxford his son was presented to the same by his mother at Christmas 1880 There is a recently built vicarage standing on about four and a half acres of glebe and the net value of the living amounts to about 300 per annum
end of quote from A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3
He was very involved with sports. He won several trophies at Oxford for rowing, running and archery. Many of these are still in the possession of family members. He was a double Blue at Oxford, which I understand is that he represented the university in two different sports competing against other universities. The two sports were very possibly running and rowing. He was given a watch by a cricket team in 1893 from Barnt Green (near Cofton Hackett) for his years of service.
Excerpts from “Barnt Green and its Cricket Club” by Michael A. Hastilow
Meanwhile in the contiguous parish of Cofton Hackett, there was another relevant development. The little church of St. Michael had existed for centuries but in 1880 the Reverend Keelinge A. Deakin
became its first full time Vicar. His flock was not large (in 1881 the population of Cofton was only 188) and it was not long before he was turning his mind to matters other than the spiritual well being of his people.
He it was who took the initiative in the formation of the Club which, after a preliminary meeting at the Vicarage, took place at Lickey Grange on October 2nd, 1888. Rules were adopted by the 14 there present and the officers (J. Rowlands President, Reverend Deakin
Captain, R. L. Impey Treasurer and C. Ashford Secretary) . . .
. . .
Contracts were placed for the levelling of a square and the erection of a pavilion and it was possible for a game to be played between the Captain’s XI and the Secretary’s XI on May 4 1889. However, for the day match v Queen’s College, Birmingham on June 12th, “The spirits of the home team were so much depressed by the loss of their pavilion, unfortunately burnt down on Monday night, that their batting was somewhat weak”. . . .
. . .
The Reverend Deakin
resigned the captaincy in 1893 and was presented with a gold watch to mark his services to the Club. . . .
. . .
In March 1912, Lady Isabel borrowed the roller for use on the “village courts” but was made personally responsible for any damage and was denied use of the pony. Perhaps that was just as well because by the end of the season it was decided that the old pony should be shot and appropriately, that Reverend K.A. Deakin
, still a member of the committee should make the final arrangements.
. . .
Thus ended the phase 1 in the life of the Club, which had been something of a family affair with an interest in cricket being handed down from father to sons. In some cases there were plenty of them. J Rowlands and E J. Bigwood had 5 each, ... and Reverend Deakin
, . . . 2 each.
Before 1901, all runs scored were actually run, the introduction of boundaries being strongly opposed by Reverend K. A. Deakin
. . . .
end of excerpts from “Barnt Green and its Cricket Club”
A noted bird watcher. His notes are kept in a Birmingham museum. In particular he kept notes on the nearby Bittell Reservoirs. A number of specimens he collected are a part of the R. W. Chase Collection of British Birds kept at the Birmingham Museum. He also was interested in botany. He had a collection of illustrated pamphlets on English Flora by Sir John Young which was bound into a book. A relative is in possession of this book.
Cofton Hackett - includes photo of churchhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cofton_Hackett