NameRichard HOMER , GGGG Grandfather
Birth7 Apr 1769, Kingswinford, Staffordshire, England6
Baptism9 Apr 1769, Kingswinford, Staffordshire, England6
Death11 Jun 1847, Pedmore Hall6
Burial18 Jun 1847, Sedgley, Staffordshire, England6
OccupationAttorney-At-Law
FatherJohn HOMER (~1744-1788)
MotherMartha COX (1743-1819)
Spouses
1Elizabeth KEMP , GGGG Grandmother
Birth20 Jan 1771, Dronfield, Derby, England
Baptism18 Jun 1771, Dronfield, Derby, England
Death8 May 1847, Pedmore Hall
Burial14 May 1847, Sedgley, Staffordshire, England
FatherCharles KEMP (1738-1787)
MotherElizabeth COTTERELL (1736-1811)
Marriage22 Apr 1794, St. Laurence, Evesham, Worcestershire, England
ChildrenCharles Kemp (1795-1857)
2Mary WEAVER , Step GGGG Grandmother
Notes for Richard HOMER
of Pedmore Hall, Stourbridge and Townsend House, Sedgley
The IGI lists Richard Homer christening April 9, 1769, Kingswinford, Stafford, father John Homer, mother Martha.

Articles of Clerkship
September 6, 1788 Richard Homer, eldest son of Martha Homer, widow, agreed to serve as clerk to Thomas Burne one of the Attorney’s of His Majesty’s Court King’s Bench for 5 years.
Deposed by John Waldron of Himley, Staffordshire

Articles of Clerkship
November 5, 1791 Richard Homer, of Himley, gentleman, agrees to serve as clerk to Thomas Blayney of Evesham, Worcestershire for two years.
Deposed by John Higford Griffiths of Evesham

In the 1841 census living at Pedmore Hall, Pedmore, Worcestershire.
Richard Homer, age 70 living independently,
Elizabeth age 65, not born in the county, and
Elizabeth Homer, age 15, born in the county. and 3 servants. [probably Elizabeth age 15 is his granddaughter]

Listed in the April to June 1847 Death Index as Richard Homer, Bromsgrove volume 18 page 195.

Will dated June 11, 1847 and proved in P. C. C. August 13, 1847.

From Brief Account of the Family Homer or de Homere of Ettingshall, Co. Stafford, Eng. and Boston Mass. by Benjamin Dixon Homer, 1889.
Richard Homer who married firstly Mary Weaver and secondly Elizabeth Kemp. He sold the remainder of the Ettingshall property [his father had sold some before] and died at Pedmore Hall, County Worcester.

from Reports of Cases Decided by the English Courts:
Homer v Homer 1878
plaintiff Elizabeth Anne Homer a great granddaughter of Richard Homer
Estates listed
Freehold estate called Bromley Hall
his other freehold estate late Peskalls in the Parish of Kingswinford
copyhold hereditamanents situate at Sedgley
all his manor of Dormstone
Stock Green in the Parish of Fladbury
his estate called High Barns
and all his estate in the parish of Kingsnorton (assigned to Charles Kemp Homer)
an estate called Quarry Farm (in the occupation of John Ganderton)
leasehold messuage called Pedmore Hall
Bag End Farm (in the parish of Dormstone in the occupation of Josiah Green) (Also that portion of Bag End farm in Inkberrow parish was only a few yards Dormstone church)
Manor Farm (also in the occupation of Josiah Green) (adjacent to each other)

Note about Bag End Farm
from http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Bag_End
The name comes from the farmhouse in the tiny Worcestershire village of Dormston, in which Tolkien's aunt lived. It can also be seen as a pun on "cul-de-sac" (literally "bottom of the bag"). In the books, it is supposedly a translation of the Westron Labin-nec, which has much the same meaning, and the same relationship to the Westron form of Baggins: Labingi.
J.R.R. Tolkien's aunt Jane Neave's farm was called Bag End by the locals in Dormston, Worcestershire.
"It [Bag End] was the local name for my aunt's [Jane Neave] farm in Worcestershire, which was at the end of a lane leading to it and no further..."
– Nomenclature


Will avail from GRO

Will available from National Archives, DocumentsOnLine, date August 13, 1847, Richard Homer of Pedmore Hall, Worc.

From A History of the County of Worcester: volume 4 published: 1924
Dormston Manor

MANOR
Five manses at DORMSTON were included among the property confirmed to St. Mary of Pershore by King Edgar's charter. (fn. 3) This land was given with part of the manor of Pershore to the abbey of Westminster by Edward the Confessor, and Dormston was included in 1086 among the lands of St. Peter of Westminster. (fn. 4)
In the time of Edward the Confessor Dormston was held under the abbey by Waland, who mowed the meadows of his lord and did all the service he was bid. In 1086 Waland had given place to William Fitz Corbucion or Corbezon, who then held 5 hides of Westminster Abbey. (fn. 5) William Fitz Corbucion, whose principal seat was at Studley in Warwickshire, is said by Dugdale to have been succeeded by Robert. (fn. 6) He had been followed before 1166 by Peter de Studley or Corbucion, who was then holding a knight's fee in Worcestershire (evidently Dormston) of the Abbot of Westminster. (fn. 7) This Peter granted Dormston Chapel in the reign of Henry II to the monastery he had founded at Studley in Warwickshire. (fn. 8) His son, also Peter, is said by Dugdale to have parted with much of his property, (fn. 9) and though William Corbucion was dealing with land at Dormston in 1234–5, (fn. 10) and Peter Corbucion impleaded Thomas de Dounton for the ownership of the manor in 1320, (fn. 11) the fee had by that date become annexed to the manor of Inkberrow, and may have been so annexed as early as 1230, when Hamo de Gras, owner of the manor, was absent beyond seas with the earl marshal, then owner of Inkberrow Manor. (fn. 12) Dormston Manor was held of the manor of Inkberrow until 1633. (fn. 13)
In 1086 2 hides in the manor of Dormston were held under William Fitz Corbucion by Albert. (fn. 14) In 1230 Hamo le Gras (Crassus) was in controversy with Robert de Antioch as to half a knight's fee there. (fn. 15) Four years later Hamo acquired land there from William Corbucion. (fn. 16) Possibly Peter de Wateville, who confirmed the advowson of the church to the priory of Studley in 1245–6, (fn. 17) was holding the manor at that time. In 1271–2 the manor of Dormston was held by Reginald de Imworth and Maud his wife, apparently in right of Maud, and they then granted it, with 1? virgates in Inkberrow, to John de Botteley, to hold of them at a rent of 10 marks yearly. (fn. 18) In 1283 the manor was held of Maud, then a widow, by Thomas de Botteley, son of John, and she granted the rent of 10 marks, paid by him, to Philip de Nevill. (fn. 19) Thomas de Botteley and his wife Alice granted the manor in 1316–17 to Thomas de Dounton and Joan his wife at a rent of 38 marks, to be paid for the life of the grantees, (fn. 20) and in 1320 Thomas de Dounton was impleaded for the manor by Peter Corbucion. (fn. 21) The next tenant was John de Sapy, an inquiry into his entry upon the manor being made at the hundred court of Pershore in 1320–1. (fn. 22) He lost all his lands for complicity in the rising against the Despensers in 1321, in which year Aymer de Valence, Earl of Pembroke, entered into the manor, and caused the corn there to be removed to his manor of Newbury in Inkberrow. (fn. 23) John de Sapy's lands were restored after the fall of the Despensers, and he was in possession in 1327 (fn. 24) and 1332–3. (fn. 25) He may have been followed by Sir Walter Hewet, who was holding the manor at some date before 1375. (fn. 26) In 1388 it was in the hands of John Russell of Strensham, who received licence to crenellate his mansion-house at Dormston. (fn. 27) The manor then followed the descent of Strensham until 1659. (fn. 28) Its history is then for a time obscure, but it seems probable that it still remained in the possession of the Russells and was sold after the death of the last male representative of the family, Sir Francis Russell, in 1705. It was held by William Lutwyche in 1743, (fn. 29) and in 1774–5 by Edward Timbrill and Margaret his wife, apparently in her right. They then conveyed it to John Keeling. (fn. 30) It remained in the Keeling family until 1824, (fn. 31) when, after the death of John Keeling, it passed, after a lawsuit, to his nephew Richard Homer of Sedgley (co. Stafford) and Pedmore Hall. He entailed it on his son Charles Kemp Homer and his grandson Charles Henry Homer. The latter's daughter Elizabeth Anne, widow of Mr. Henry Milner, is the present owner of the manor. (fn. 32)

From Victoria County History Publication:
A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3
published: 1913

Pedmore Hall stands on a small hill about a quarter of a mile east of the main road between Bromsgrove and Stourbridge and to the east of the church. It faces the west and is approached through an avenue of limes. Though the centre part of the present building was erected in 1670, (fn. 3) the house is now of little interest, having undergone considerable alteration in the 18th century. It is three stories high and stands on a basement. The front has been stuccoed and the windows modernized. Of the 17th-century fittings the staircase only remains. It is at the back of the house. The handrail and strings are moulded and the balustrade between is composed of one open panel to each flight following the rake of the stair.
Notes for Elizabeth (Spouse 1)
Second Wife

Listed in the IGI Elizabeth Kemp christening June 18, 1771 Dronfield, Derby, father Charles Kemp.

Listed in the April to June 1847 Death Index as Elizabeth Homer, Bromsgrove volume 18 page 193.
Notes for Mary (Spouse 2)
First Wife
Last Modified 16 Sep 2016Created 14 Mar 2017 using Reunion 10 for Macintosh