NameGilbert TALBOT High Sheriff , 16G Grandfather
Birth1452
Death16 Aug 1517
BurialWhitchurch Salop.
MotherElizabeth BUTLER (-1473)
Spouses
1Elizabeth GREYSTOCKE , 16G Grandmother
Death1490
ChildrenHumphrey
 Gilbert (~1476-1542)
Notes for Gilbert TALBOT High Sheriff
of Grafton Worc. Commanded right wing of Earl of Richmond’s army at Bosworth; Captain of Calais. PC Knight of the Garter


From A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 published: 1913

GRAFTON MANOR

Grastone (xi cent.).
The parish of Grafton Manor situated to the south-west of Bromsgrove covers an area of 1,510 acres, of which 456 acres are arable land, 1,064 permanent grass and 41 woods and plantations. (fn. 1)

MANOR
Before the Conquest GRAFTON, a member of the manor of Bromsgrove, was held of Earl Edwin by five thegns, 'who could not withdraw from the lord of the manor.' (fn. 5) In 1086 Grafton was held of Urse D'Abitot by one of his knights called Roger. (fn. 6) The overlordship followed the same descent as Elmley Castle (q.v.) and is last mentioned in 1419. (fn. 7) In 1367–8 the manor was said to be held of the Bishop of Worcester, and in 1369–70 and 1517 of the king in chief. (fn. 8) During the 12th and 13th centuries Grafton belonged to a family who derived their name from the manor and may have been descendants of the Domesday tenant Roger. Henry de Grafton, who held a knight's fee of William de Beauchamp in 1166, (fn. 9) may have been succeeded by Richard de Grafton, whose name occurs on a Pipe Roll of 1166–7. (fn. 10) In the reign of King John Grafton belonged to Ralph de Grafton (fn. 11) and afterwards to his son and grandson John. (fn. 12) Edmund de Grafton was holding it in 1315, (fn. 13) and in 1349–50 his son and successor John made a settlement of the manor. (fn. 14) He must have been succeeded shortly after by his son Roger, who granted the manor in 1350–1 to Thomas Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, (fn. 15) who obtained a grant of free warren there in 1352–3. (fn. 16) John de Hastings died seised of it in 1367–8, leaving two daughters Maud and Joan. (fn. 17) Grafton was assigned to Maud, who married Ralph Stafford, (fn. 18) and passed after the death of the latter in 1409–10 to their son Humphrey. (fn. 19) He was succeeded in 1419 by his son John Stafford, (fn. 20) who also inherited Upton Warren and died seised of both manors in 1422. (fn. 21) From his brother and successor Humphrey (fn. 22) the manor passed in 1449–50 (fn. 23) to his son Sir Humphrey, (fn. 24) who was attainted and executed for treason early in the reign of Henry VII.

Grafton and Upton Warren were granted in the same year to Sir Gilbert Talbot, second son of John Earl of Shrewsbury, (fn. 25) who died in 1517, (fn. 26) and was succeeded by his sons Gilbert (fn. 27) and John in turn. (fn. 28) John Talbot, grandson of the latter, who inherited the manors from his father John Talbot in 1555, (fn. 29) was imprisoned for many years as a recusant. In 1580 he was placed in the custody of the Dean of Westminster in order 'that he might not be forced on the soddaine to alter the Relligion he hathe ben broughte up in and ever professed, untill by conference with some learned men he might be resolved in conscience touching the Relligion now professed within the Realme.' (fn. 30) By the following year John Talbot had been removed to Aldersgate Street, but owing to the Plague he was allowed to choose another house within 12 miles of London, where he was to remain a prisoner during the queen's pleasure. (fn. 31) In 1587 he was at Mitcham, co. Surrey, and he was allowed the liberty of going 'aboute the citie or suburbes of London.' (fn. 32) He was still a prisoner in 1588, but was allowed bail to go to Grafton on account of the 'longe sickenes and indisposicion' of his wife, (fn. 33) while in 1589 he was allowed to 'enjoy the libertie of six miles compasse' about his house in Clerkenwell on account of his own illness and on condition that he did not go to 'publicke places of assemblie of people as Paules Church and Westminster Hall.' (fn. 34) In 1592 he was sent to the prison at Ely, (fn. 35) and about 1596 to Banbury Castle. (fn. 36) During this time there are several licences allowing him to go into the country on private business, one occasion being a 'dangerous deseaze' for which he had 'great need to use the benefit of the Bathes,' (fn. 37) and another the death of his wife. (fn. 38) He appears to have been finally set at liberty in 1597–8, but in 1603–4 was still paying £20 a month for licence to be absent from church, (fn. 39) and later in the same year the benefit of his recusancy was granted to Sir William Anstruther. (fn. 40) The latter obtained for him a pardon for his recusancy and a discharge from all the forfeits and penalties which he owed, (fn. 41) but in 1606 he was again paying £260 a year. (fn. 42) He died in 1611, leaving a son George, (fn. 43) who succeeded to the title of Earl of Shrewsbury in 1618. (fn. 44) Both Grafton and Upton Warren have since remained in the possession of the Earls of Shrewsbury (fn. 45) and forming part of the estates settled by the Shrewsbury Estate Act, on the death of Bertram Arthur, the seventeenth earl, in 1856, passed with the title to the Earl Talbot, and did not pass under his will to Lord Edmund Howard. They now belong to Charles Henry John Chetwynd-Talbot twentieth Earl of Shrewsbury.

see Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Talbot,_2nd_Earl_of_Shrewsbury
Notes for Elizabeth (Spouse 1)
Parishes: Bromsgrove', A History of the County of Worcester: volume 3 (1913), pp. 19-33.

In the north-east corner of the chancel is a white alabaster altar tomb with the effigy of a lady. The tomb has probably been shortened, and has a double row of cinquefoiled panels, three angels with blank shields and a small image bracket. The figure wears a jewelled head-dress and long mantle; a metal necklace and cloak clasp as well as the brass inscription have been removed. The figure represents Elizabeth daughter of Ralph Lord Greystock and first wife of Sir Gilbert Talbot of Grafton, ob. 1517.
Last Modified 27 Feb 2016Created 4 Aug 2017 using Reunion 10 for Macintosh