NameWilliam SILBURN
Birthabt 1837, Pocklington, Yorkshire
Birth1841, Sunderland, Durham
Death2 Feb 1924
Marriage7 May 1861, York, Yorkshire, England
ChildrenJohn Henry (1862-1930)
 Norah Eliza (1863-1942)
 Evelyn Jessie (1865-)
 Arthur Lawrence B. (1869-1871)
Notes for William SILBURN
from descendant Mike Silburn

In the 1871 census St. Martin Church Yd (St Martin’s House) St Martin Le Grand civil parish, York registration district, Bootham sub district, Yorkshire. Head William Silburn, age 34, Attorney, born Pocklington, Yorkshire. Wife Annie Sarah Silburn, age 29, born Sunderland Durham. Son John Henry Silburn, age 8, born Pocklington. Daughter Norah Eliza Helen Silburn, age 7, born Pocklington. Daughter Evelyn Jessie Silburn, age 6, born Pocklington. Son Reginald James Singleton Silburn, age 4, born Pocklington. Son Frederick William Muschamp Silburn, age 3, born Pocklington. Sister-in-Law, unmarried, age 20, Eliza Bell Ryan, born Stockport Lancashire. 1 servant.

In the January to March 1872 death index William Silburn, age 35, York district, Yorkshire, volume 9d, page 8.

From Mike Silburn
Detail William Silburn Death Jan 1872 Leeds Mercury
Date JANUARY 27, 1872
THE LEEDS MERCURY SATURDAY, JANUARY 27, 1872 Vol 109 - No 10,545 Page 7 Column 4

SHOCKING DEATH ON THE NORTH_EASTERN RAILWAY - A very painful sensation has been created in York by the death of Mr Silburn, who practised as a solicitor in that city, and who was clerk to the Pocklington Poor Law Union, in which latter town he had resided for many years. The circumstances attending his death were of the most shocking character. The Scarbo' branch of the North Eastern Railway passes close to the York County Asylum, adjoining which is a footpath which crosses the line on the level. About half a mile from this footpath the Hull Railway via Beverley branches off, and on Monday evening the train which leaves York for Hull at five minutes past seven o'clock arrived within a short distance of the footpath, when the engine driver saw a man (who, it turned out, was Mr Silburn) on the line. When within a few yards of the train, the unfortunate deceased either fell or threw himself down, and was run over. The train not being far from the residences of several men in the employ of the railway company, the engine driver gave information of what had occurred, and it was found that the body of the deceased had been dragged about eight yards from the place where he had fallen. A most sickening spectacle presented itself. The head was nearly if not completely severed from the body, the face and head especially were horribly crushed and mutilated, and there is no doubt that death was instantaneous. The body was removed to the Workhouse, and the letters found in the deceased's possession sufficiently indicated his identity. It appears, however, that there was nothing to show that he intended to commit suicide, it is stated that one of his children died about the same time that his death took place, and that he lost another child by death about a month ago, which, it was supposed, might have preyed upon his mind; but facts transpired which went to prove that his death was purely accidental.

From Mike Silburn
Detail William Silburn Inquest Jan 1872 Leeds Mercury
Date Thursday, January 25, 1872
THE LEEDS MERCURY Thursday, January 25, 1872 Page 5 Column 5 Note: So I presume
that the inquest held on Tuesday 23rd Jan 1872

FATAL RAILWAY ACCIDENTS AT YORK - An inquest on the body of Mr Silburn, Solicitor, who as stated in our yesterday's impression, was killed on the North Eastern Railway in the immediate vicinity of York, was held on Tuesday evening at the Workhouse. His wife was examined, and she stated that her husband had occasion to go to Burton Lane (the nearest way to which was along the level crossing near the Asylum) to see the landlord of the house they occupied about the drains. In reply to the Coroner, Mrs Silburn said that the deceased was of a very happy nature, and had nothing at all on his mind to cause him to commit suicide. The Coroner thought the evidence was exceedingly strong that this was a pure accident, and it appearing that three or four persons had been previously killed at the crossing in question, the jury in recording a verdict of "Accidentally killed", gave it as their opinion that the crossing was a dangerous one, and that some means ought to be adopted by the railway company to prevent the recurrence of further accidents -

Also from Mike Silburn
The York Herald
Saturday, Jan 27 1872
Page 9, Issue 5171
Frightful Death of a Solicitor on the Railway at York.
On Monday evening, Mr William Silburn, solicitor, residing at 85 Union Terrace, in this city, and practising both here and at Pocklington, of the Board of Guardians of which latter place he was clerk, was killed in a frightful manner on the railway. Mr Silburn, it appears, had had much illness in his family, one of his children having suffered from typhoid fever. This led to the impression that the drainage was defective, and, by the desire of Mrs Silburn, the deceased, at a quarter past seven on the evening in question, was on his way to speak to his landlord, Mr. Bellerby, of Barton Lane, about it. He arrived at the Asylum crossing and was seen on the six foot way just as the 7.5 train for Hull via Market Weighton came at the rate of 25 miles an hour. Leaving the city the trains just before reaching this spot emerge in a curve from an embanked way which in the darkness of the night makes it little unlike a tunnel, and there is little doubt the deceased was unaware of approaching danger. He was, however, seen by the engine driver a dozen yards off, and as soon as the engine whistle was sounded, he, doubtless in possession of the fear that he was standing then between the metals upon which the train was travelling, made a leap for his life in his efforts to cross the line. In this, unfortunately, he failed, for, rushing right in front of the engine, he was literally, so far as the upper part of his body was concerned, smashed to pieces. Assistance was shortly at hand, and his remains were taken up and removed to the Workhouse, where on Tuesday evening, Mr. J. P. Wood, coroner, held an inquiry into the cause of death. The following is the evidence which was adduced:-
Joseph Needham deposed: I keep a house known as Thomas's Hotel, in Museum Street. Deceased was at my house on Monday for several hours. He first came at about eleven o'clock in the forenoon and stayed probably for an hour. He partook of beer. He came in again about two o'clock in the afternoon, and he left again about a quarter to six. Whilst he stayed he had several half pints of beer, smoked three or four cigars, and watched some play billiards. When he left he was not the slightest the worse for liquor. He appeared to be in his usual spirits, and I noticed nothing unusual. By Mr Watson; It was not unusual for Mr Silburn to call at my house, and have a few glasses the same as he had on Monday. By the Coroner; He appeared to be in good spirits. By Mr Watson: He has often sat for some time in the billiard room as he did on Monday.
Edward Wiley, of Barton Lane, gardener, deposed: Last night, about seven o'clock. I met a tall man with a high crowned hat walking at the back of the York County Asylum, about two hundred yards from the railway, towards Barton Lane. He made a stagger, went towards the wall, and I gave way for him, remarking to my wife that he appeared to be in liquor. No word passed between us. By Mr. Watson; He did not appear to be loitering; it was raining. There was little moon - it was lightish. By a Juror: He appeared to be taller than me. My impression was that the man was intoxicated.
Joseph Bean, 23, Layerthorpe, stoker at the Gas Works, deposed; I was taking a walk yesterday evening, from a quarter to twenty minutes past seven, in the lane at the back of the Asylum. I was going towards Barton Lane, when I heard an engine whistle on the railway. I was then on the Clarence Street side of it. I stood still until the train stopped. Then I walked up to the gate opening on the railway, again stood, and looked at the engine until it started off again. The engine would be between the Burton Stone gate house and the asylum crossing, but nearer the former. When the engine moved off I was going to walk across the railway and looking up the line I saw what appeared to be a parcel laid. I went towards it to pick it up, and found it to be a man cut in two. I looked for assistance towards Barton Lane, and met a man and a woman, and told them there was a man cut in two on the line. I ran up to some persons with lights who were repairing the line and told then what I had seen. They went back with me to the body, and then the Groves policeman was sent for. I remained with the body until he came, and pulled it out of the five foot into the six foot so as no other train could pass over it. The body was eight or nine yards from the gate further from York. I had before this seen a person walking about fifty yards in front of me all the way down the lane, but lost sight of him at the turn just before reaching the gate. When I heard the whistle the man would have had time to reach the crossing, and the engine appeared to be at that point at the time. I noticed nothing particular in his walking. By a juror: I did not in going up the walk by the Asylum meet the witness Wiley and his wife. By Mr Watson; I did meet a man, but it was not Wiley. The crossing is a dangerous one. The trains come from a dark recess. A person might very easily be run over without being cautious. A juror: I heard a lady the other day say she had a very narrow escape at this very spot. By Mr Watson; There is no signal box. Another juror: Four trains pass on the average each half hour. Witness, by Mr Watson; The place where the body was found was where I should think it would be taken by the engine coming into contact with it. There are no lights whatever at the crossing. It was a light night, but raining.
Alfred Dixon, No 10, West Parade, Spring Bank, Hull, engine driver, deposed; I was driving the engine attached to the 7.5 pm train out of York for Hull on Monday. I at the Asylum Crossing saw what appeared to be the figure of a man pass from the four foot to the six foot, and then he seemed to me to either fall of throw himself down in front of my engine. I should be about ten or twelve yards off. I made all endeavour to stop that I could, and sounded my whistle. I shut off the steam, told my mate to hold on, and the train was stopped as quickly as possible. I then got down and examined the engine, but found nothing - neither blood nor flesh on the wheels. The inspector and ganger of the platelayers came at my summons from the Barton Lane crossing, and after I had told them what I had seen I went on with the train. I had felt that I had gone over something, but it was very slight, no more that if we had been going over a bad joint. By a juror; I cannot say whether the object, when I first saw it was moving or not. By Mr Watson; The last I saw of him he appeared to be falling forward. He might have tripped. We were going at the rate of about twenty five miles an hour. Mr Watson: Is not that a great speed at this place. Witness: But we are obliged to keep time. Mr Watson: Taking into consideration the dangerous situation of the crossing and public safety do you not think 25 miles an hour too strong a pace at which to be travelling over this particular spot? Witness: Well, I cannot say. Had it been me I should have waited until the train had gone past. Mr Watson: Is it safe? Witness: I cannot say it is dangerous if people will but look out. Mr Wood suggested that judgment upon the question would be a matter for the jury. Mr Watson (to witness) Then you refuse to give an answer? Witness: If the public keep a lookout as well as the driver, it may be safe. The witness was further pressed but refused to acknowledge that the crossing was a dangerous one; and the Coroner suggested that it was perhaps sufficient that he had acknowledged that the train he was driving was going at the rate of 25 miles an hour.
Anne Sarah Silburn of Union Terrace, deposed: I have seen the body of the deceased, and have identified it as that of my late husband. He was a solicitor residing in York, and 35 years of age. I last saw him alive on Monday morning, about nine o'clock. He appeared to be in good health, and in better spirits than usual, because our child Freddy was better. I did not expect to see him again until night about seven, when he usually came home. He had occasion to go to Barton Lane to see the landlord, Mr Bellerby, as to the drains, the defective state of which we thought caused the illness of our children. We had previously written to the landlord in reference to the matter, and it had been a subject of conversation with my husband on the night before his death, I fully expected he would go on Monday night. He was of a very happy nature, and had nothing on his mind to cause him to commit suicide. He was devotedly attached to the children. He very often walked across the railway to get to Barton Lane.
John Hutton, of the Groves, police constable, deposed: At about half paast 7 o'clock last evening I was sent for, and found the deceased lying in the six foot on the railway in the township of Clifton, in the North Riding. The body about the face, chest, and left arm was smashed to pieces, and frightfully mutilated. With assistance I conveyed it to the Workhouse. I searched the body, and found a purse containing sixpence, and a large number of letters. There was nothing in the letters to indicate the cause of death.
The Coroner then addressed the jury. What they had to consider, he said, was the cause of death, As to that there appeared to be no difficulty. There was no doubt a man had been seen by the engine driver on the line, and that he had been run over by the engine in the manner described. There was, therefore, no question that the deceased had been run over by an engine. The next question was - was it the result of an accident or of suicide? They would remember the expression of the engine driver that he either fell or threw himself on the line; but, after the evidence of Mrs Silburn, he asked if they could have any question that the matter was the result of a pure accident? There might have been some reason to think otherwise had the deceased had no reason for crossing the line, but it appeared from what had fallen from Mrs. Silburn that he had a reason, whilst it likewise appeared that he was the person seen by the witness Bean. The deceased after leaving the sight of Bean had just time to get upon the railway when the whistle sounded, and therefore there could be no doubt that the man killed was the one Bean saw. The person whom Wiley saw could not have been the deceased because the evidence told them that he (deceased) was not the worse for liquor, whilst the man he saw he described as being tall and staggering when he passed him. Well, then, the facts that the deceased had been asked by his wife to see Mr Bellerby, that he was going in that direction in the ordinary manner, that he would arrive on the line just as the engine came up, and was knocked down and killed in the manner described, were before the jury, and it was for them to decide whether the deceased had been accidently killed. If they were not perfectly satisfied on this point they might bring in an open verdict, because there was an absence of evidence that he intended to commit suicide. To him (the Coroner) the evidence was exceedingly strong that it wa a pure accident. As regarded the danger of the level crossing, if they wished to express any opinion he should be glad to forward any recommendation to the directors of the railway company. They had had the fact explained that the crossing was a very awkward place, that the trains at that point came up suddenly and passed rapidly, and that there was no person at the spot to warn passersby. If they thought under the circumstances that trains passed at the rate of 25 miles and hour that there should be a person familiar with the times of the trains passing to warn people, or if they thought there should be a bridge over, he would take care their opinion was forwarded to the proper quarter. At an inquest he remembered some time ago upon a boy killed at that crossing a recommendation was forwarded by the jury; and he hoped that now if another recommendation was forwarded it would be attended to, because that was really a fearful accident.
A juror said he remembered a farmer, of Stillington, being found one morning, after lying all night at this spot, on the line with his legs cut off.
Another juror said this was the fourth fatality he remembered at the spot.
After a brief consideration the jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death". They also begged to express their opinion that the crossing was a dangerous one and that some means ought to be taken by the railway company to prevent the recurrence of further accidents.
Best Wishes
Notes for Ann Sarah (Spouse 1)
In the April to June 1841 birth index Ann Sarah Ryan, Sunderland, Durham, Tyne and Wear, volume 24, page 292

In the 1841 census Monkswearmouth, Durham. John Ryan age 25, Westleyan Minister, not born in county. Ann Sarah Ryan age 25, born in county. Elizabeth Ann Ryan, age 2, born in county. Ann Sarah Ryan, age 2 months, born in county. 1 servant.

In the 1851 census No. 36 New Bridge Lane, Stockport, Cheshire. Head John Ryan, age 37, Westleyan Minister of Brunswick Chapel, born Hyde, Kent. Wife, Ann Sarah Ryan, age 36, born Chottey? Bridge, Durham. Daughter Ann Sarah Ryan, age 9 [must be an error], born Monkswearmouth Durham. Daughter Mary Jane ryan, age 7, born Stockton On Tees, Durham. Son John James Ryan, age 5, born Huddersfield, Yorkshire. Daughter Betsey Oley ryan, age 3, born City of York, Yorkshire. Son William Thomas ryan, age 1, born City of York. Daughter Eliza Bell Ryan, age 1 month, born Stockport, Cheshire. 1 Nurse and 1 servant.

In the 1861 census Chapmangate, Pocklington, Yorkshire. Head Annie S. Ryan, unmarried, age 20, Teacher of Music, born Sunderland, Durham.

In the England and Wales Marriages William Silburn, age 24 father John Silburn and Annie Sarah Ryan, age 20, father John Ryan, May 7 1861 York, Yorkshire.

Parish records St. Mary at Lambeth, Surrey
Marriage September 4, 1877 Edward Fothergill, age 21, Bachelor, Medical Student, residence Kennington Rd. father William Fothergill, Dentist and Annie Sarah Silburn, age 32, widow, residence Victoria Rd, Darlington, father John Ryan, Westleyan Minister. [I can’t read the signatures of the witnesses as they are too faint.] {annie seems to have dropped a few years in age after her second marriage!]

In the 1881 census 5 Eldon Sq. Newcastle on Tyne. Head, Edward Fothergill, married, age 27, Dentist LRCS Engl., born Darlington Durham. Wife Annie Sarah Fothergill, age 37, born Sunderland. Step son John Henry Silburn, age 18, Articled Clerk, born Pocklington. Step daughter Norah Eliza Helen Silburn, unmarried, age 17, born Pocklington. Step Daughter Evelyn Jessie Fothergill?, age 16, born Pocklington. 3 servants

In the 1891 census 7 Saville Pl. Newcastle Upon Tyne. Edward Fothergill, head married, age 35, Dentist LDS RCS Surgeon?, employer, born Darlington Durham. Wife Annie S. Fothergill, age 46, born Sunderland Durham. Step Daughter Nora [no H this time] E H Silburn, single, age 26, born Pocklington. Step daughter Evelyn J. Silburn, age 25, born Pocklington. Step son, Reginald J. S. Silburn, single, age 24, Solicitor, neither employer or employed, born Pocklington. Brother in Law Joseph H. Dupuis, widower, age 62, Retired British Consul for the Canary Islands, born London, Middlesex. Niece Evelyn M. J. Dupuis, single, age 25, born Pocklington. 4 servants.

In the 1901 census St. Andrew, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, 7 Saville Pl. Edward Fothergill, head, married, age 45, Dental Surgeon, born Darlington Durham. Wife Annie S. Fothergill, age 55, born Sunderland Durham. Stepson Reginald Silburn, age 31 [seems to be out by a year], single, solicitor, born Pocklington, Yorkshire. Step daughter Jessie Silburn, single, age 30, student (college), born Pocklington. Step Gurd?[Girls?] child, Katherine H. Silburn, age 16, born London, Middlesex. Step Gurd?[Girls?] child, Wilfred Silburn, age 15, born West Hartlepool, Durham. Step Gurd?[Girls?] child, Lawrence Silburn, age 10, born Newcastle-Tyne. Step Gurd?[Girls?] child, Edward Silburn, age 8, born Newcastle-Tyne. A butler a cook and a housemaid.

National Probate Calendar
Annie Sarah Fothergill of 68 Jesmond-street Newcastle-upon-Tyne (wife of Edward Fothergill) died 2 February 1924 Probate Newcastle-upon-Tyne 25 March 1924 to Isabella Reed spinster and Harry Hutton Ryan auctioneer and estate agent. Effects 1825 pounds.
Last Modified 3 Dec 2011Created 4 Aug 2017 using Reunion 10 for Macintosh