Birth28 Dec 1843, India
Death8 Mar 1916, Fareham, Hampshire
Notes for Ellen
Name from Richard Ellis.
Notes for Charles M. (Spouse 1)
Name from Bill Goldsworthy.
Additional information from Richard Ellis.
Between 1871 - 1872, India General Service medal Looshai clasp
Awarded Long Service & Good Conduct medal
Between 1878 - 1880, Afghanistan medal with Kabul clasp
Between 1887 - 1889, India General Service medal Burma clasp
08 Jan 1889, Commissioned as a lieutenant in Commissariat & Transport Company
13 Aug 1895, Promoted to Hon Captain in Commissariat
Retirement: 11 Jan 1899, Retired from Army and returned to England by 1901 census date
Residence 1901, Perryfield Road Sunnycroft Horsham
Residence 1911, The Haven Titchfield Common Fareham Hants
Occupation: 1916, Retired captain (Hon) Indian Army serving with Bengal Commissariat
1. Charles James Lightening, born 28 Sep 1867 in Ferozepore West Bengal.
2. Frederick Augustus Sinclair Lightening, born 06 Dec 1868 in Ferozepore West Bengal.
3. Ada Maud Lightening, born 20 Nov 1870 in Calcutta West Bengal.
4. Charles Stratton Lightening, born 29 Sep 1871 in Ferozepore West Bengal.
5. Frederick Percy Lightening, born 15 Jan 1873 in Bareilly West Bengal.
6. Ernest Dalton Lightening, born 14 Jul 1874 in Bengal.
7. Alice Emily Lightening, born 01 Jul 1876 in Calcutta West Bengal.
8. Mabel Helen Lightening, born 01 Jul 1876 in Calcutta West Bengal.
From Tony Conroy
Father; Sergeant James Lightening, 9th Foot, and Mother's name Mary. Baptism lines indicate that Charles was born 28th Dec 1843. Charles enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers 1859 before being transferred to the Comm Dept (unattached List) Charles retired from the Indian army with the rank of Hon Captain. During his service in the army he served in a number of campaigns - Looshai 1872, Burma 1885, Afghan war 1880,Duffle expedition and the relief of Chitral